Thursday 4 July 2013

17th Annual RBC Cruisin Down The Crescent 10K Walk

On June 9, 2013, my husband, Stephanie and I participated in the 17th Annual RBC Cruisin' Down the Crescent in order to help raise funds and awareness for the charitable foundation Children's Rehabilitation Foundation. The Rehabilitation Centre for Children has been a great assist for Stephanie this year.  Her seizures, intracranial hypertension, and medications have set her back the last few years and her mobility has regressed significantly. However, this year she has already received a $4000 Freedom Concepts Bicycle and a Gait Walker to help her gain some strength and freedom back.

"The Children’s Rehabilitation Foundation is a Manitoba charity, dedicated to helping children with disabilities and special needs be as independent as possible. We are the fund raising arm for the Rehabilitation Centre for Children (RCC). The Centre is an outpatient facility providing rehabilitation services and specialized health clinics for children and youth who live with life-long conditions."

The overall funds raised that day was $170,000 and I believe we were personally able to raise $360.  What a great day of walking, talking, enjoying the beautiful weather and great company.  In addition to walking with our close friends Michelle, Dave and their son Brayden, we were also surprised along the walk with a visit from one of Stephanie's weekly respite workers. She was waiting along the walk just to cheer us on and ended up joining us for most of it!

Just after our walk, we had a great opportunity to meet Janine Hanson, the 2012 Olympic Silver Medalist in Women's Rowing.  She was a great encouragement to all the children and adults participating in the 10K walk.  We even got a signed card and photograph with Janine!

Cheers!



 

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I know it's been a while but I recently found your blog and I just wanted to check in and see how things are going, I know it's been a few years. I hope Stephanie is doing well. Did you ever decide what to do about the surgery?

    I have PTC and I was doing some research about optic nerve sheath surgery when I found your blog. It's really inspiring to see Stephanie's bravery through all of this. I've been so terrified about the idea of this surgery, but now I feel a lot more at peace. Anyway, your daughter's story has really inspired me. She seems like a great kid. I hope she's okay and I hope you're okay. If you end up getting this, please do write back and let me know how things are going.

    ReplyDelete